Monday, September 28, 2009

MALAYSIANS

To all Malaysians.

There comes a time, when we heed a certain call - but are we heeding that call?

Let us be united as one nation one race - Malaysian.




MALAYSIANS

Now, this is a photo of me with my Malaysian ( Malay, Chinese and Indian ) friends.

I am standing next to a Muslim - my best friend and still in touch with him. We were and still are, like brothers. Remember, this was taken in 1968 - 41 years ago and Farouk, my best friend and I still keep in touch. He is now in Penang. When he comes to KL, he comes to my place. It is always good to see him and we talk about the good times we shared. Both of us are not in any way affected by acts of recent racist and religious bigotry.

His was at that time dating a Chinese girl, who is in the photo. There was no thinking of having to convert - their love overcame all racial boundaries.

Each time I read about race and religion today, I often look at this photo and take solace in the fact that there still ARE some sane people in this country who will not permit anyone or any regime to influence them and their perspective on the fact that we are ALL Malaysians.

In class, we mingled freely. Race and religion had no place - it could not creep in and divide us. We respected one another and we were FRIENDS. And like all good friends, we ate together and played together.

It seems like we have to look into the past to look towards a better future. 

Actually, we never heard of 'halal' and 'haram' which is now imprinted on the minds of a lot of people. The Muslims adhered to their religion and the others to theirs. We were still together.

A few years ago, Farouk's mother was hospitalised and I went to see her and she still remembered me and was happy to see me. 

My late mother liked Farouk a lot - her petname for him was 'king' - his name being Farouk Sultan.

That reminds me of Deepavali - all my friends came to the house - my Malaysian friends - and had a feast. We ate, drank, talked and laughed. When it was Hari Raya and Chinese New Year - we were all there together - eating, drinking, talking and laughing.

That was the true spirit of inter-mingling. A nostalgic era of a melting pot of Malaysians. 

No comments: